NBC Universal Lead Software Engineer in Belfast, United Kingdom
Job Number 34410BR
Job Title Lead Software Engineer
Business Segment NBC Sports Group
Sub-Business International Golf Channel
Posting Category Technology/Engineering
About Us BRS Golf, a division of GolfNow, Golf Channel and NBC Sports, is the leading provider of online tee time booking systems to golf clubs throughout UK, Ireland and the US with GolfNow being the world’s largest online golf reservation platform. Our technology, services and distribution help Golf Course operations increase their rounds and revenue, expand their markets and manage their businesses. Just ask the owners and operators at more than 8,000 courses in North America, the U.K. and Europe.
These are exciting times for the game of golf and those who love and live it. With GolfNow we are driving forward and reshaping an entire industry- disrupting the status quo, building innovative new web based and mobile products, and assisting Golf Course operators to build profitable, sustainable businesses.
In the UK and Ireland over 30 million rounds were booked using BRS Golf in 2016. It’s a great time to be part of the business and our employees are part a truly global company within the NBC Universal International wider corporate family. Although we “keep a start-up spirit” and have an internal feel of a small agile company, we can leverage all the benefits and resources of an international corporate community. We work closely with our Orlando US based colleagues in GolfNow, Golf Channel, NBC Universal International and Comcast.
Our Technology Team Members are passionate about software and product development - a highly talented group of people. They work with and explore new technologies and approaches and have space to innovate and learn. This is a great opportunity to tee- off your career with Belfast Chamber of Trade & Commerce’s “Best Company to work for” 2016 and 2017 and be part of an exciting business with plans for significant future growth.
Career Level Experienced
Country United Kingdom
State/Province - -
The Lead Software Engineer will act as a software expert to the engineering department providing technical direction, mentorship and progressive people management. Working closely with product, engineering and operational teams, this highly visible and mission critical position will assist in the development of products that process tens of millions of online golf rounds per year.
The Lead Software Engineer will work with cutting edge technologies and become involved in the implementation and evolution of the entire product development lifecycle.
The Lead Software Engineer will be a key member of a multi-disciplinary team that is responsible for new products, new features, maintenance and support of the BRS Golf platform and contribute to business success by;
• Working with the business leaders, product teams, customers and external partners to determine requirements, converting these into architectural designs and blueprints and ultimately ensuring the product is developed to meet end user and business expectations.
• Providing technical guidance for software development teams (across multiple platforms and languages) throughout the course of projects.
• Proactively driving excellence, innovation and team performance through a progressive people and project management approach that includes;
o Technical oversight to a growing development team working in an Agile environment.
o Clearly defining project plans, managing progress towards delivery and embedding a culture of ongoing feedback and knowledge sharing.
o Collaboration with colleagues and advising senior management on opportunities to improve as we grow such as implementing new and emerging technologies.
• Being an ambassador for GolfNow, BRS Golf and Teeofftime.co.uk brands, building strong working relationships with colleagues local and internationally as well as with customers and external partners.
• As a member of the Management Team, participate in activities and initiatives that contribute towards the achievement of overarching business goals and objectives.
It is essential that candidates have:
• A degree in Computer Science or related discipline and at least 3 years in a similar senior level role (Lead/ Principal Engineer/ Solutions Architect)
• At least 5 years of experience in a similar senior level role (Lead/ Principal Engineer/ Solutions Architect)
Professional Expertise in some or all of the following technology stacks;
• Angular, VueJs, React, Symfony, Laravel
• Web services (SOAP/REST)
• MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle
• .Net / C#
• Mobile Development
Candidates must also be able to demonstrate:
• Experience of providing technical oversight and strong people management skills to lead a team across multiple project streams.
• Professional experience of ;
o multiple architectural design patterns including the SOLID principles
o web development and security best practices
o designing and using Relational Databases
o unit testing and Mocking frameworks
• A high level of self-motivation, excellent organisational skills with a proactive and enthusiastic attitude.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• A solutions based approach which is analytical and the ability to articulate and propose new approaches and processes.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
• Professional experience of developing Microservices
• Container based deployments (Kubernetes)
• Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
• Agile delivery principles & supporting processes
• An understanding of the Golf industry and a passion for the game
Salary: Highly competitive with a generous benefits package
Closing Date: 5pm Friday 23rd June 2017
We are an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Clickto view the NBCUniversal Candidate Privacy Statement.