NBC Universal Controller - Statutory and Technical (Corporate) in London, United Kingdom
Job Number 34291BR
Job Title Controller - Statutory and Technical (Corporate)
Business Segment Staff
Sub-Business International Corporate
Posting Category Finance
About Us NBCUniversal’s international operations outside the US and Canada include film and television distribution, home entertainment distribution, channels, film and television production, theme parks and news operations. The company is led by Kevin MacLellan, Chairman. MacLellan is responsible for oversight of all NBCUniversal International’s businesses, as well as identifying and executing international growth opportunities for both NBCUniversal and Comcast Corporation. With more than 2,200 employees across 34 countries, NBCUniversal’s international portfolio consists of international channels delivering quality content to 176 territories across EMEA, Latin America and Asia; television production labels in both UK and Australia; a library of 4,000 feature films and 75,000 TV episodes for international television distribution; direct film distribution operations in 11 countries; direct home entertainment distribution operations in 7 countries with licensee relationships covering approximately 55 additional territories; CNBC International, which broadcasts across EMEA and APAC; Parks & Resorts operated through license agreements in Singapore and Japan; and an international NBC News team based in London.
Career Level Experienced
Country United Kingdom
State/Province - -
The Corporate Controller role based in London is part of the International Controllership team that is responsible for creating and driving NBCU’s controllership vision and ensures all controllership objectives are met to a high standard across all the NBCU entities.
We are looking for a technical accountant who enjoys working in a fast moving environment in the Entertainment Industry. This role has a solid reporting line to the Director International Statutory Controller (based in Amsterdam) and has supervisory responsibility over the tasks assigned to a Financial analyst (0.5 FTE, based in London) that supports the team.
The Corporate Controller is responsible for managing the accurate preparation and timely dissemination of Financial Statements for 33+ NBCU entities in the UK.
This Controller position is a statutory expert that takes a lead role in managing the local statutory audits and annual statutory filing process, filings to local regulatory bodies and any other external financial reporting required (e.g. Statistics, Senior Accounting Officer declarations etc). The Statutory Controller provides technical accounting and controllership leadership, interpreting existing and proposed accounting guidelines and communicating its impact on NBCU’s financial statements.
The Statutory Controller will work closely with representatives at senior level across all the International BU’s (Theatrical, Homevideo, TVD, UNI) from various departments (Fin Ops, Treasury, Tax, Legal, Accounting, FP&A).
The role will require someone with a “can-do” attitude, excellent project management skills, technical skills and communication skills. The role has a strong advice function to the Financial Controllers of the various BU’s to ensure they preserve the integrity of the financial records and process the transactions accurately and in accordance with the local statutory and tax requirements.
• Identify, document and drive compliance with local Statutory compliance for all the NBCU entities ( 33+) in The United Kingdom. These entities vary in size and complexity, but all need to be treated with the same diligence in terms of statutory and tax reporting. The largest entity in scope has USD 2 billion of revenues and a balance sheet total of USD 875M.
• Managing the External and Internal audits, overseeing the planning (timing, scope, preparation), act as the main point of contact to auditors.
• Perform annual impairment testing for local Stats on wholly owned NBCU subsidiaries, working closely with NBCU’s FP&A teams of the various BU’s.
• Be the first point of contact for technical accounting issues for all of the UK businesses, this will encompass US and UK GAAP. This will involve research, application and documentation of principles.
• Be the Subject Matter expert of the Stat and Tax reporting tool “One Source” and provide trainings to other users and the go to contact in case users have questions.
• Support to the NBCU tax Team to ensure compliance with local tax regulations and reporting requirements and assist in providing required documentation during internal and external reviews or audits.
• Manage and Monitor the Senior Accounting Officer (“SAO”) process and submission for NBCU International.
• Other Ad hoc activities/projects
Skills and Qualifications
• ACA, ACCA, CIMA or US CPA qualified
• Minimum 2 years post qualification experience, Public Accounting Experience preferred or similar finance position within a large multinational.
• Deep technical accounting experience, including comprehensive understanding of UK GAAP, US GAAP and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
• Demonstrate strong influencing and interpersonal communication skills
• Possess high level of personal and professional integrity
• Proven team player with leadership skills including the ability to manage, coach and energise the team, collaborative working style.
• Willingness to work flexible hours with tight deadlines
• Excellent judgement and problem-solving skills to quickly resolve unique, complex and challenging issues and concerns independently.
• Experience of managing projects with multiple stakeholders on a detailed level
• Ability to embrace new technologies and processes
• SAP experience desired, but not essential
• Experience working in a large multinational corporation
We are an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Clickto view the NBCUniversal Candidate Privacy Statement.