NBC Universal Legal Counsel in London, United Kingdom
Job Number 35117BR
Job Title Legal Counsel
Business Segment Filmed Entertainment Group
Sub-Business International UPHE
Posting Category Legal & Business Affairs
About Us NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks.
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (“UPHE”), the global home entertainment division of NBCUniversal. UPHE markets and distributes Universal Pictures new release, catalogue, special interest and local content titles, as well as third party product, via local operations (“OpCos”) in the US, Canada, UK, Benelux, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand and Japan, and joint ventures in Australia and the Nordics. UPHE also sells and distributes home entertainment product via 22 licensee relationships covering approximately 90 further territories.
Career Level Experienced
Country United Kingdom
State/Province - -
This role will be an integral member of UPHE’s global Legal & Business Affairs team, providing legal support to UPHE’s operations function and its UK new business team, together with the wider home entertainment business as required, and reports into Vice President, Legal & Business Affairs UPHE in London.
As a member of the UPHE Legal and Business Affairs team your responsibilities would include:
• Acting as main legal point of contact for UPHE’s supply chain, providing full service support and advice to UPHE’s operations function.
• Negotiating, drafting and reviewing supply chain agreements, including manufacturing and distribution services arrangements.
• Providing advice and ongoing support for UPHE’s new business activities in the UK, including its direct to consumer online retail business.
• Negotiating, drafting and reviewing retailer agreements, content distribution agreements and services agreements.
• Advising business on competition law, anti-corruption, data privacy, content protection and IP matters.
• Advising and collaborating with commercial colleagues responsible for structuring and negotiation of key deal terms in order to maximise revenue opportunities.
• Managing disputes and litigation, including management of outside counsel.
• Providing legal advice and related support on wider UPHE business affairs matters as required, including dealing with services agreements, customer terms and conditions, NDAs, other ad hoc commercial agreements, and compliance.
• Liaising and maintaining strong working relationships with other functions including global Finance, Tax and Compliance teams, as well as the Corporate Legal functions.
• This role would suit a solicitor who has worked in the media team of a law firm and who has in-house experience at a major Studio, distributor or equivalent. Experience of working with entrepreneurial businesses in a start-up environment would be advantageous.
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
• UK legally qualified, but consideration will be given to candidates with substantial in-house business affairs experience and qualifications from another common law jurisdiction.
• Extensive experience of negotiating multi-$m contracts autonomously for a commercial business.
• Good understanding of the film and entertainment business.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to interact with a range of personalities and styles, and to be able to establish effective relationships at all levels within the organisation.
• Well organised, efficient and have ability to multi-task and prioritise without constant supervision.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment with diverse and often heavy workload.
• A can-do attitude with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and Powerpoint.
Ownership – you are proud to be part of the team. You thrive on rising to the challenge and finding solutions to team challenges. You deliver on your commitments and always consider the “customer” view point when you provide your input to decisions.
Pioneering Spirit – you can see trends and patterns and identify missing pieces. You turn ideas in to action. You can anticipate the needs of others and take a pro active approach to working with people.
Teamwork – you bring energy to the job and you are proactive in getting to know people and connecting with your peers. You find opportunities where two heads are better than one and encourage people to share ideas and opinions. You have a flexible style that means you can work well with different types of people.
Creativity – you will enjoy working with others to generate ideas and be an ambassador for changes that mean we can always work to improve our game. You will drive the implementation of best practice and improvement and you will encourage others to do the same.
Integrity – you will consistently deliver on commitments, providing timely and accurate data and communication. You will enjoy rising to challenges and set your own high personal standards in your work. You will be active in seeking feedback and seeking out development opportunities.
We are an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Clickto view the NBCUniversal Candidate Privacy Statement.