NBC Universal Writer, NBC News in London, United Kingdom
Job Number 34524BR
Job Title Writer, NBC News
Business Segment NBC News and MSNBC
Sub-Business NBC News International
Posting Category Digital Media
About Us NBC News is a leading source of global news and information operating for over 75 years. Every week, NBC News provides more than 25 hours of television news programming with the top-rated NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt and Meet the Press programs as well as America’s longest-running morning news program, TODAY. The network’s primetime newsmagazine, Dateline provides a variety of in-depth stories week in and week out ranging from mysteries and breaking news to hidden-camera investigations and documentaries. The continuously growing online presence of NBC News, NBC News Digital Group, includes NBCNews.com, TODAY.com, MSNBC.com, NightlyNews.com, social media, apps and all of the network’s digital initiatives.
Career Level Experienced
Country United Kingdom
State/Province - -
As part of the Engel Unit, you will work closely with Richard Engel and the team. As a writer, you will shape accurate, engaging and creative scripts for television, write long and short print pieces and assist with other writing projects, from pitches and award submissions to writing assignments outside of NBC News platforms. Most importantly, you will work with producers, associate producers and editors and inspire all of them to become better writers. You will occasionally go into the control room to write fast copy for breaking news and you will always have several major projects on the go at the same time. You will be just as comfortable with copy-editing a tweet or writing fast pages for live breaking news coverage as with reshaping a long-form television script.
• Work closely with senior producers and the executive producer to ensure that stories are delivered on time and are ready for air.
• Ensure that every script that the team produces is accurate, engaging and delivered on time.
• Spend time mentoring members of the team, not just on writing but also on everything from finding and pitching a story to production and editing.
• You will work well within a team devoted to fast-paced and unpredictable coverage. You will need to be flexible, loyal to your colleagues and focus at all times on how to make the story – any story – better.
• Embrace the changing assignments that come your way and thrive in a team where mutual assistance and support are key values.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Educated to Bachelors Degree level
• Must significant experience as a producer at a major US broadcast network
• Must have a keen understanding of the production process for television news across all platforms and scales, from an individual day-of-air story to an entire long-form show.
• Must be very familiar with the demands and schedules of network news, cable news and online platforms and be able to correctly prioritize and manage the demands on the unit’s resources.
• Extensive knowledge of the workings of the US State Department, the American diplomatic corps and other US agencies working around the world.
• Must be proficient in Outlook, iNews, twitter, Facebook, etc.
• Ability to work long hours under tight and complex deadlines.
• Eligibility to work in the UK
• Full English language capabilities
• Must be willing and able to travel frequently and work flexible hours (including weekends) under tight deadline pressure, including breaking news.
• Must be able to work or travel when news breaks, regardless of any pre-planned schedule.
The responsibilities associated with this position are not limited to the above description and may be modified at any time by the Company.
We are an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Clickto view the NBCUniversal Candidate Privacy Statement.