NBC Universal Category Manager, Hardlines in Shanghai, China
Job Number 35036BR
Job Title Category Manager, Hardlines
Business Segment Filmed Entertainment Group
Sub-Business International Consumer Products
Posting Category Sales
About Us NBCUniversal’s international operations outside the US and Canada include film and television distribution, home entertainment distribution, channels, film and television production, theme parks and news operations. The company is led by Kevin MacLellan, Chairman. MacLellan is responsible for oversight of all NBCUniversal International’s businesses, as well as identifying and executing international growth opportunities for both NBCUniversal and Comcast Corporation. With more than 2,200 employees across 34 countries, NBCUniversal’s international portfolio consists of international channels delivering quality content to 176 territories across EMEA, Latin America and Asia; television production labels in both UK and Australia; a library of 4,000 feature films and 75,000 TV episodes for international television distribution; direct film distribution operations in 11 countries; direct home entertainment distribution operations in 7 countries with licensee relationships covering approximately 55 additional territories; CNBC International, which broadcasts across EMEA and APAC; Parks & Resorts operated through license agreements in Singapore and Japan; and an international NBC News team based in London.
Career Level Experienced
State/Province - -
The Category Manager, Hard Lines for Greater China is responsible for developing and executing a long-term business strategy for each of the Hard Lines sub-categories (Toys, Sporting Goods, Consumables & Publishing) that leverages the richness of NBCUniversal’s entertainment content (past & present) to build a sustainable business that achieves annual revenue targets.
As part of the Greater China Consumer Products team, the Category Manager, Hard Lines will be responsible for growing the CP business in line with divisional strategies and guidelines while leveraging a strong knowledge of the local markets’ individual needs and opportunities. He/she will be responsible for identifying the best licensees to partner with, driving innovative and quality product ranges, providing regional input into Global deals, accurate quarterly forecasting and promoting retail sell-in of core ranges.
• Set and execute a long-term business development strategy for categories in charge that takes into account regional opportunities and specificities.
• Manage the Hard Lines P&L to deliver (or exceed) annual revenue targets. Provide quarterly business forecasts to evaluate progress against budget. Highlight any upsides or sensitivities.
• Develop a clear growth strategy for categories in charge (including financial targets) and benchmark progress.
• Identify opportunities and fill gaps by product sub-category, age segment, market channel and franchise.
• Partner with the Creative team to drive quality and champion innovation in local product development. Ensure timely product approvals in line with industry needs.
• Responsible for developing and managing a portfolio of licensees to grow the CP business. Critically evaluate the licensee base to ensure we have the right amount and best quality partners.
• Direct management of key Global & Regional licensees.
• Negotiate the best deals (in line with CP guidelines and business objectives) and manage the process from contract to product development and execution. Provide input into global deals to ensure regional needs are met and leverage global deals locally.
• Determine where DTR relationships could enhance our business and negotiate/manage these deals.
• Develop a clear franchise growth plan for your markets for all of the core properties and identify market-specific opportunities
• Brief additional creative assets where required to meet market needs
• Work with the retail team to identify the key retail partners for your region. Develop relationships with the decision makers at your Key Accounts.
• Understand key seasonality and a important dates on the retail calendar
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Strategic thinker able to communicate a compelling vision for the business
• Substantive experience in international licensing and product merchandising within the region
• Current network of strong relationships with licensees, distributors and retailers within the territory
• Background in building brands across various channels of distribution
• Proven track record delivering growth and solid analytical/financial skills
• Proven ability pitching and negotiating skills with the ability to close deals
• Self-motivated professional with ability to work independently and take charge
• Strong people person able to influence others
• Ability to customize / create sales presentations and other materials as needed
• Ability to think strategically about the changing marketplace & consumer shopping patterns
• Well versed in dealing with senior leadership, outside 3rd parties, talent and international contacts
• Ability to work with confidential and sensitive information in a discrete manner
• Excellent communication skills with attention to detail and the ability to develop and deliver clear and consistent messages across many different stakeholders
• Fluent in English and Mandarin Chinese
• Commercially aware individual with proven ability to identify and drive strategy
• Proven record of working cross functionally with colleagues
• Ability to identify key priorities within a heavy workload and execute on them
• Ambassador of the business with sufficient stature internally and externally to represent the business positively
• Intellectually strong
• Able to travel
• Sense of humor and practical attitude
• University and above degree required
We are an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Clickto view the NBCUniversal Candidate Privacy Statement.