NBC Universal Facility Design Manager in Universal City, California
Job Number 35215BR
Job Title Facility Design Manager
Business Segment Parks & Resorts
Sub-Business USH Creative
Posting Category Theme Parks
About Us Universal Studios Hollywood is the Entertainment Capital of L.A. featuring a movie-based theme park and Studio Tour, and bridged by Universal CityWalk, a dynamic entertainment, shopping and dining complex. Universal Studios Hollywood is an industry leader due to its impressive talent base of highly creative professionals who inspire and produce compelling entertainment and innovative attractions that immerse guests in an authentic Hollywood experience. Universal Studios Hollywood’s team of professionals enjoys a unique culture where fun, hard work and high-quality results are priority, resulting in an employee base that is proud to work here. NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. The company offers equally unique opportunities for employees to expand their careers within Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Parks & Resorts, and the broader NBCUniversal family. It’s a big universe, where do you fit in?
Career Level Experienced
Country United States
City Universal City
SUMMARY: Oversees and manages the Architectural and Engineering design and construction administration effort within a specific area of a project. Also provides input and advice on design, budget, schedule, code requirements, selection of project resources and strategy for project execution..
• Attends weekly project meetings. Responsible for the coordination between the Architecture and Engineering vendors and the other vendors including the development of facility requirements.
• Monitors construction in the field including identifying and resolving discrepancies between the construction and drawings and/or design intent. Participates in the management and response to the various requests for information. Evaluates the Architecture and Engineering vendor’s responses to requests for information and the preparation of modification documents.
• Manages the Architecture and Engineering vendors throughout the design and construction phases of the project. Ensures that the creative design intent is maintained during the preparation of design documents by the Architecture and Engineering vendors and other outside parties.
• Develops the design strategy to achieve quality deliverables within the schedule and on the budget. Responsible for the development of a complete cost effective and constructible set of drawings for the Facility and Architecture/Engineering area of the project. Responsible for reviewing the drawings and specifications to insure that they meet the design intent, the creative appearance and are complete and accurate for construction.
• Responsible for the development of the Architecture and Engineering scope of work / request for proposal documents, the selection and pre-qualification of potential Architecture and Engineering vendors, the response to questions / clarification during the proposal process, the analysis of the proposals and the development of the recommendation for the vendors.
• Prepares the Architecture/Engineering schedule for facility design. Responsible for insuring that the Architecture and Engineering vendors maintain the required schedule and meet their milestone delivery dates in a timely manner.
• Responsible for managing the Architecture and Engineering vendors contractual obligations including the evaluation of any requests for additional services, the preparation of any directives, the negotiation of all changes and the incorporation of any agreed upon changes into the vendors agreement.
• Understand and actively participate in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established USH policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
• Represent Universal as the project “owner” to agencies such as ,Building and Safety department, Fire Department and Health Department
Manages A&E document closeout and posting of electronic plans into the department archives.
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree from a four year college or university in: Architecture, Engineering or Construction Management is required. Master’s degree in: Architecture, Engineering or Construction Management is preferred.
• Licensed Architect or Engineer is preferred.
• 7-10 Years: Required Turn-key projects experience, specifically within the entertainment/theme park industry.
• 10-15 Years: Required relevant design and construction/project management experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Hand and Computer drawing, and drafting skills required. Experience with AUTOCAD, Revit, or similar program required. Knowledge of Sketch Up, or, Adobe Photoshop, and Illustrator preferred.
• Deep knowledge of local building codes and plan check, permitting and inspection processes are preferred.
• Knowledge of construction costs is preferred
• Ability to create and track schedules preferred. Knowledge of Microsoft Project preferred.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
• Self-Motivated and a team player who can lead by example
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Experience with multi-level corporate management structure.
We are an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Clickto view the NBCUniversal Candidate Privacy Statement.