NBC Universal Legal Counsel in London, United Kingdom
Job Number 41170BR
Job Title Legal Counsel
Business Segment Global Distribution and International
Sub-Business International Studios
Posting Category Legal & Business Affairs
About Us NBCUniversal International
NBCUniversal’s international operations outside the U.S. include film and television distribution, home entertainment distribution, channels, film and television production, theme parks and news operations, with over 2,600 employees in 36 offices around the world. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
NBCUniversal Global Distribution and International
NBCUniversal’s international operations outside the U.S. include film and television distribution, home entertainment distribution, channels, film and television production, theme parks and news operations, with over 2,600 employees in 36 offices around the world.
Within the diverse portfolio, the television division is comprised of three groups: Global Distribution, International Networks and International Studios.
International Studios produces over 1,100 hours of original premium English language scripted and non-scripted content for audiences worldwide. The division’s television production companies include Carnival Films, creators of the Emmy and Golden Globe award-winning drama Downton Abbey; Monkey Kingdom, producers of BAFTA award-winning reality series, Made in Chelsea; and Australian-based Matchbox Pictures, makers of critically acclaimed Glitch. In addition, NBCUniversal International Studios operates joint ventures with Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner in Working Title Television as well as with David Heyman’s Heyday TV. It also operates a global formats business, which licenses and produces NBCUniversal content in over 70 territories including Saturday Night Live, Top Chef and Law and Order.
The portfolio has over 20 new media businesses worldwide such as the reality on demand SVOD service, hayu, which debuts a majority of its shows the same day as the U.S. including Keeping Up with the Kardashians and The Real Housewives franchise.
Additional NBCUniversal businesses with International divisions include Universal Filmed Entertainment Group, CNBC, Telemundo, Parks & Resorts, NBC News and DreamWorks.
NBCUniversal Global Distribution and International is a division of NBCUniversal, which is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
Country United Kingdom
State - -
• Provide support on the negotiation, drafting and review of the full range of agreements in the context of television and digital development and production and the formats licensing (e.g. development agreements, format licences, production commissioning agreements, co-production agreements, first look agreements, as well as contributor, talent, location, facilities, supplier and access agreements)
• Advise on underlying rights, copyright and other intellectual property issues, chain of title and clearance matters both in the context of UK and US rights-holders
• Advise on UK and international compliance-related questions
• Assist in keeping contracting processes current and effective
• Generally, ensure all contractual documentation is completed to required standards
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• A qualified lawyer with 1 year of post-qualification experience.
• Expertise in television is essential, ideally in the area of scripted television.
• In-house experience is highly desirable, but otherwise television production experience with a law firm would be considered.
• Hands-on experience of the types of contracts and agreements
• Strong educational background
• Ability to work as a productive team member in a legal, commercial and finance environment.
• Ability to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations in support of the Director L&BA, Scripted.
• Able to reach legal and business outcomes in a timely manner by focusing on key objectives, and seeking support where required.
• Detail-oriented and methodical
• Confident with strong verbal and written communication skills.
• An enthusiasm for and interest in the media in general and television in particular.
• Ethical and responsible.
• Resourceful, curious and eager to take on new challenges
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.